Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts
Love food? Train for a career in the Culinary Arts to become a cook, chef, or food service/hospitality worker. The Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts program, offered to Juniors and Seniors, prepares students for careers and further education in the food service/hospitality industry. This unique two year program explores content such as preparation, presentation, and serving of a wide variety of foods, leadership, communication skills, employability skills, and safe/efficient work practices.
Examples of what students will be able to perform after successfully completing this program include:
- Demonstrate how to read, follow, and prepare recipes
- Practice advanced cooking and baking techniques
- Describe the basic principles of nutrition
- Apply principles of nutrition in menu planning, cooking, and baking
- Prepare and present food and beverage items to meet creativity aspects as well as quality standards
- Exhibit and utilize safe, secure, and sanitary work procedures
- Create and prepare menus for various nutritional needs
- Demonstrate management skills
Students may enter this program in August of their Junior year or in August of their Senior year. In the first year of the program, all students will have the opportunity to earn a ServSafe certificate. Juniors who successfully complete the two year program will earn a certificate of completion. Seniors who successfully complete the first year of the program will have the opportunity to transfer their credits and complete the remainder of the program at any of the Broward Technical Colleges. Upon completion of the program, students may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree by Broward College or the Florida College System.